Monday, June 8, 2009

The Spade Goes

I bid you greetings on this most beautiful of days!

See if you can remember this one...

"The spade goes
Down down baby
Down down the roller coaster
Sweet sweet baby
Sweet sweet don't let me go
Shimmy shimmy coco-bop
Shimmy shimmy rock
Shimmy shimmy coco-bop
Shimmy shimmy rock
I met a girlfriend - a triscuit
She said a triscuit - a biscuit
Ice cream -  soda pop - vanilla on the top
Ooooh she-leeta, walkin' down the street
Ten times a week
I meant it, I said it
I stole my mama's credit
I'm cool, I'm hot
Sock me in the stomach three more times!"

Okay, it's from the movie "Big" with Tom Hanks.  I was actually privileged to attend the "Pre-Premiere" of the movie.  That's the Premiere before the Premiere with all the stars.  While working for FOX TV, we we're all shipped to Catalina Island off the coast of LA for some food, fun, golf, and the premiere.  But I digress.

The point to this song in the movie is it's between "best friends."  It's their secret song.  Only these two best buddies know the words and can perform the song.

I believe each of us should have at least three of these type acquaintances.

Definitely there has to be that "Best-Bud!"  You know, as the "text-ters" say, BFF (Best Friends Forever).   Anyway, you know the type friends.  People you feel totally comfortable around.

Next should be your Spouse!  I can't imagine living in a relationship where your spouse isn't your most very best, "Best-Bud!"  I understand it happens a lot based on the amount of marriage counseling I do, but I think that's more a result of the dating process of today's morality.  You know, sleep and live together first as a way of getting to know one another.  Ahh, I don't think so.  Here's a quote from that great prophet Louis L'amour; "Many a time when a person gets themselves involved with romance, they are so busy being in love they don't realize what it can lead to.  They are all in a rosy sort of glow until suddenly they find out the one they love was great to be in love with, but hell to be married to."  The point is, and I know it sounds silly in today's way of thinking.  But get to know that person first before the physical contact.  Be and become best friends first and chances are you'll at least have a better chance in the long run.  

And finally, God!  After all is said and done the creator of the universe should be your "BEST FRIEND!"  Here's another quote, "If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.  If God had a wallet, your picture would be in it.  He gives you sunrises everyday and flowers in the spring.  I'd say God the Father is pretty crazy over you!"  Above all things you must believe that God of all the universe really loves you!  And the relationship He desires over all, is the relationship with YOU!  

Now the question is, like the characters in the movie "Big," can you see these three best friends of yours and you singing "The spade goes, down down baby, down down the roller coaster.......?"  I can and it's a blast!  

Now If you're working on one or all three of these relationships - good, great, fantastic!  It's kinda like working on learning the words of the song.  Have some patience, the words of the song will come, and that relationship will too!  

So here's to... "you're cool, you're hot," and you and your best friends are there together "socking each other in the stomach 3 more times!"  HA!

KB

1 comment:

  1. Love that KB... great words of wisdom. And you and Tracie are excellent examples of the #2 & 3 relationships you described!

    ReplyDelete